Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The Berenstain Bears and the Spooky Old Tree By: Stan and Jan Berenstain

Genre: Picture Book
Publisher: Random House for Young Readers
Copyright Date: 1978
Page Number: 48
Reading Level: 4-8

Summary:
Three little bears leave the house and find a spooky old tree. One has a rope, one has a light and one has a stick. They go into the spooky old tree and find a twisty old stair. They go over it. An alligator nearly gets the one in the back and he loses his rope! Next, they find a giant key and when they twist it, they find a moving wall. They go through the wall into a spooky old hall! But one nearly gets chopped by a knights armor! She loses her stick, Next, they come across a giant sleeping bear, and they have to climb over him! He wakes up and chases them, up a latter, through the floor, down a slide and out the door! They ran home as fast as they could.

Who would benefit from reading this book/Who would I recommend this book to?
This is an adventure book. Children who like to explore and use their imaginations would enjoy this book a great deal. That is who I would recommend it to.

What conflicts/problems could the book potentially cause?
It could teach children that it is an adventure to climb over a sleeping bear... This is not the case. When I read this to my kids I will definitely teach them to stay far away from bears.

My Reaction:

I love Berenstain Bear books! I also read this when I was growing up. I remember it used to be really scary back then! Especially when the alligator jumps out of the water. I love all of them!

0 comments: