Thursday, March 18, 2010

Bones: Injury, Illness and Health by: Carol Ballard


Genre: Non-Fiction
Publisher: Heinemann
Copyright Date: 2003
Number of Pages: 48
Age Level: 9-12


Summary: This book contains everything that you ever wanted to know about bones. It talks about healthy bones, types of bones, broken bones, bone diseases, joints, injuries, spine, skull, ribs, arms, legs, feet.... EVERYTHING YOU CAN THINK OF! it has pictures and information like crazy that will make you learn something but it is also easy enough for a 3rd grader to understand. One thing I learned that I thought was interesting is, I sit wrong. The way I sit when I do homework is bad for my spine. If you slouch in a chair you are putting too much pressure on your lumbar vertebrae. Also slouching over a desk can make your shoulders hurt and it is not good for your spine. My back hurts all the time and I realized that its because of the way I sit! This book has all kinds of stuff like that in it. It teaches you how to pick stuff up and hold things. It teaches you how to prevent bone injuries and problems. The last part of the book talks about what can go wrong with bones and it includes stuff like: Carpal Tunnel, Dislocation, Spinal Bifida, stress fractures, and much more. With the injuries it also gives advice on tretment and prevention of those things.



Who would benefit from reading this book/ who would I recommend this book to?

I would recommend this to children that are in 3rd-5th grade because that is when they are really starting to read to learn and children love learning about stuff like bones and joints. It makes them aware of what is going on inside of your body.


What problems/concerns could this book potentially cause?

I don't think this book has anything questionable in it. It is about the bones in our bodies and how the function so that we can move. There are no problems in it.


My Reaction:

I thought this was a cool book. I can see any student coming to this book and picking it up and loving it. The cool thing about this is it gets kids to read but it also teaches them even though they don't realize it. Even if they do realizing it, they are learning about things that they like.


0 comments: