Sunday, March 21, 2010

Armored and Dangerous by: Howard Zimmerman


Genre: Non-Fiction
Publisher: Bearport Publishing
Copyright Date: 2008
Number of Pages: 24
Reading Level: 4-8


Summary:

This is a book about armored dinosaurs. It has descriptions of different dinosaurs and how they protect themselves against their meat-eater predators. Each descriptions has a phonetic guide on how to say the name of the dinosaur, what the name means, how they use their weapons (skulls, tails, bone plates) to protect themselves, and how big it was compared to a human. They also include an illustration on what the dinosaur would have looked like and an interesting fact comparing each dinosaur to another. My favorite dinosaur was the Stegosaurus. Each stegosaurus has exactly 17 large bony plates sticking up out of the back of their body. They used the four sharp spikes on their tales to keep them safe. The scientist who found the fossils thought it was the fossils of a large turtle! In the back of the book it has a map of where each dinosaur was found. Half of them were found in North America!


WHo would benefit from reading this book/who would I recommend this book to?

Little boys. They would love this book! It is all about how dinosaurs protect themselves when they are attacked! What little boy wouldn't eat that up? I even think little girls would benefit from reading this book. I remember doing a dinosaur unit and I loved it.


What problems/conflicts could this book potentially cause?

I don't think there are any problems with this book


My Reaction:

I think this book is great. It is simple enough for young children to understand but interesting enough with new information, that older kids can enjoy it too. I enjoyed learning about all the different armored dinosaurs, and I am in college.

0 comments: