Saturday, January 30, 2010

"Let's Get a PUP!" said Kate by: Bob Graham

Genre: Picture Book
Publisher: Candlewick
Copyright Date: 2001
Number of Pages: 32
Reading Level: 4-8

Summary: Kate was lonely at night because her cat had died and so only kates feet were there to keep each other company. Then one morning, Kate woke up to the brilliant idea that they should get a dog. So she ran in and jumped on her parents bed and told them her idea. Over breakfast they looked in the paper to see what they could find and they discussed requirements: It had to be small, and cute, and run around in circles... They saw an add for the rescue center and left immediately. They saw all sorts of dogs: big, small, short haired, wire haired, fighters, biters, fat, skinny, etc.. Then, they saw Dave. He was everything that they were looking for, and they decided to take him home. But, THEN they saw Rosy. She was a big, old, sweet dog, and they really wanted her but they decided that they couldn't take her home. It was hard for them to leave her behind and she was sad to see them go. At home, Dave was what they expected a dog to be. But none of them could sleep that night, not even Dave. The next morning they left right away and went straight back to the rescue center. There they found Rosy waiting for them. They took her home and cleaned her up. Dave and Rosy were instantly friends and they kept each other company on the living room floor, and on the couch. Kate got her wish too, because Rosy and Dave slept at the bottom of her bed.

Who would benefit from reading this book? Or who would you recommend this book to?
I would recommend this book to dog lovers. That is why I chose it. I am a dog lover and I saw that the book is about getting a dog so I knew I would like it.

What problems or conflicts would this book potentially cause?
I find it odd that the mom and dad have tatoos and earings. I don't know what the illustrator was trying to convey but that is strange to me. You also can't tell the differenct between the mom and the dad sometimes which is also a little off for a children's book. I think that could be a conflict. Ususally, especially in our church, you want to portray a recognizable and groomed mom and dad figure.

My Reaction:
Like I said before, I chose this book because I like dogs and it was really fun to read. I got my dog from the pound and I could relate to this family being at the pound because that is eactly what I went through. It is hard to come out of the pound without taking three or four dogs home with me.

0 comments: